Sunday, October 01, 2006

Decision-making: Who do we decide for?

My time here at Michigan State University with the Alociljas was a time of renewing and deepening. Renewing ties that bind us over the years, as Kuya Rex and Ate Vangie were an influential couple for both me and my “sleeping” wife Ivy during our early married life.














I am amaze of their commitment to live life as simple and modest as possible so that they can give more towards God’s work. This explains why Kuya Rex mostly wears white shirts – a color that is never too fashionable yet also never goes out of style. Once Ate Vangie – while working as an internationally-hired scientist of the International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) in Los Banos, Philippines – had difficulty getting her paycheck as the cashier wouldn’t believe that she is who she claimed to be. She doesn’t look like a “typical” a scientist because she prefers jeans and simple blouses. I wasn’t surprise yesterday for that’s how she still is when I peeped in her class.

Manong Rex and Ate Vangie – simple and yet deep; warm and very friendly; unpretentious and very sincere. No wonder many people are drawn to them. And in MSU, they are the best couple to initiate and sustain a ministry among internationals - a ministry they have been with since 1982.

Last Friday night, I was privileged to join them in their weekly bible study. It was kind of nostalgic as these are the kinds of gathering I and Ivy used to have while in Los Banos. The following nations were represented – Nigeria, Zimbabwe, Korea, USA and of course the Philippines. We had a discussion on Decision-Making based on Luke 12:13-34 and here are some of our thoughts:

The key to any decision making is in knowing your heart. For where your heart is, there your treasure is also.

A treasure is what you value most - what you live for and ultimately gives meaning to you and your life.

For anyone who claims to be a child of God has found the greatest treasure of all. As such, this treasure becomes the central focus of our lives – every moment therefore must be lived consistently with value we give to this treasure.

Jesus is my treasure. He is the only thing that really matters. And no person, possession and position will ever take Jesus place in my heart.

All that is me and all that I can be find its meaning and purpose only in Jesus. On the basis of this truth, decision making becomes decision surrendering. A surrendering of my will to Jesus.

I therefore resolve to seek the mind and heart of Jesus in all decisions that I must make.

I am glad I made the decision to visit the Alociljas – even if my “possession” says otherwise. I have been enriched many times over again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home