Friday, October 13, 2006

In Search of Quarries and Waterfalls!

I am walking back to the dorm with a certain sad feeling – the 2nd Dialogue Education Institute just finished and most have left. Then there is Mary coming from the other end, and so I pause and pay my respect – "Good day Princess!" And she plays along and said, “Good Day!” and we go on our separate ways. After a short while, Mary calls back, “Hey Boyet, Beth and I are going for a hike, and would you want to join us?” I readily said yes as the thought of seeing another dimension of Vermont seems very enticing.

It took us a while driving around before we found Hunger Mountain trail. The sun is already touching the mountains and about to call it a day but the clear sky seems to resist it. We sign-up our names by the entrance to the trail and start our way up. Then a lady with her dog comes out and tells us about a nearby 30-minute-walk waterfall. “Wow! That’s a good goal for this hike!” Mary, Beth and I all agree and so we move on.

It is my first mountain hike in 10 years and my legs just get heavier by each step. I am also panting a lot but the thought that two ladies are leading the trail, and talking along as if it is a walk in the park, pushes me on. Oh see what pride can do! I focus my attention instead to the colorful canopy above us and enjoy the beauty of autumn at its closest.

After a good 20 minute walk, a couple walk pass us with their dog. We ask them about the waterfall and they couldn’t agree if there is one. Talk about intuition! Still we go on for another 20 minute or so. When we encounter the first spring, (actually more of a canal to me) with a few drops – about 5 inches or less, all three of us agree that it is the waterfall. We found it and achieved our goal. And the timing is just perfect, as the sky is beginning to change her skirt to prepare for the night.

The hike down though challenging is more relaxed. You see, unlike the waterfall, we knew exactly where our car is.

We tried redeeming that quest for the waterfall. And so on the last day of SURE Fire Meetings Workshop, we went to look for the quarry site near the college. Guess what? The waterfall is a relative of the quarry – never got to see it either! Oh well, I guess as far as I am concern, I found them in Mary Waterfall and Beth Quarry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home